Goldziher Prize Competition Rules
Merrimack College and The Greve Foundation (“the Sponsors”) proudly present the Goldziher Prize competition to help educate people about the American Muslim experience. These terms, conditions and any notices will apply to the competition and to any websites where these Official Rules appear by hyperlink or otherwise (the “Sites”), and to all services provided to you via the Sites. By entering this competition, you agree to all of the Official Rules. This competition is void where prohibited by law. No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
A. GENERAL CONTEST RULES
1. Agreement to Rules. All competition entrants ("Participants”) must strictly comply with Official Rules.
Eligibility. Except as noted in this section, this competition is open only to residents of the United States. Employees, immediate family members of employees, contractors, officers or directors of Merrimack College, The Greve Foundation, Fenton Communications, and any other organization directly involved with this project are not eligible.
2. Application Terms. All Participants must agree to the Goldziher Prize competition "Application Terms" as outlined in this document. All materials, ideas, concepts and communications submitted by Participants (including personal information) will be included in the definition of Application.
3. Due to copyright issues, submissions will not be displayed publicly on this website, unless competition “participants” expressly give permission on the application. We prefer that submissions be in the form of links to existing works, although we can work with you to upload your content for the judges to see. While we will take every precaution in protecting content, we cannot guarantee that content uploaded to this site will be secure.
4. All participants must submit work (“Application”) in pdf, video, or live URL links. We prefer the latter.
5. Applications Are Final. Once submitted, all Applications are final and may not be altered or edited further. Duplicate Applications will disqualify all such submissions.
6. Application Deadlines. Participants may submit applications beginning Monday, October 8, 2018 at 6:00 a.m. Eastern through Friday, December 7, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
7. Content Limitations.
a. You agree that you will not submit Applications that are:
i. Copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to submit the material to this competition in full compliance with these Official Rules;
ii. False, inaccurate, misleading, unlawful, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, pornographic, harassing, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise offensive, or that encourages conduct considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, violate any law, or is otherwise inappropriate, as may be determined by Sponsors, or contrary to Sponsor’s other stated policies and procedures, where applicable.
b. Participants may enter more than one piece of work -- "a collection or series." Each entry must be different content and must otherwise comply with these Official Rules. Participants may not win two or more prizes.
8. Disqualification. Submissions, which do not comply in any way with these rules, will be disqualified, in Merrimack College’s sole and final discretion, without notice. All Submissions of any Participant who attempts to deliberately damage the Sites, or to manipulate contest-voting results, or to otherwise undermine the legitimate operation of this contest shall be disqualified, in Merrimack College’s sole and final discretion, without notice.
9. Competition Decisions. All final decisions regarding the competition will be made by Merrimack College in its sole discretion and are final.
10. Miscellaneous. This competition is void where prohibited by law.
B. PRIZES AND JUDGING
1. Prizes. The judges panel will select one winner of each prize: the Gold Goldziher Prize is $15,000; the Silver Goldziher Prize is $7,000; the Bronze Goldziher Prize for a new journalist is $3,000.
2. Judging Criteria. Entries will be judged on these criteria:
a. Overall quality of presentation in describing or reporting on the American Muslim experience
b. Entries can be stories or opinion pieces.
c. Entries can include works in print, video or audio productions, and photographic essays. Entries CANNOT be books, book-length manuscripts, or long-form documentaries.
d. Entries can be published or unpublished works, but must have been created after December 15, 2013. (The series or collection of which the entry is a part can date back prior to December 15, 2013).
e. For the Gold Prize, we prefer work that has had an impact on an individual, community, social benefit organization, or government agency.
f. Preference will be also given to a series or collection of works for both published and unpublished works, rather than a one-off.
3. Judging Dates. Judging will take place by a panel of journalists and scholars during the period of January 15, 2019 through February 15, 2019.
4. Notification. Winners will be notified on March 8, 2019 via telephone and email.
5. Releases and Information Requests. Failure to respond to the information requests or otherwise to comply in a timely fashion with all rules or requests from Merrimack College will void the award, and the prize may then be awarded to another entrant.
Merrimack College would like to post entries on Goldziher.org, but will not publish your work without your explicit approval. In the event that an entry is copyrighted, Merrimack College will honor those restrictions.
6. Taxes. Each winner is responsible for paying any and all taxes on his or her prize(s) and Merrimack College will report all prizes to the government as required by law.
C. HOW TO ENTER
1. The contest Submission Period starts at 6:00 am EDT on Monday October 8, 2018 and ends at 11:59 pm EST on Friday December 7, 2018. Your entry is not final until you receive email confirmation of your entry:
a. You are welcome to contact us before submitting an entry using the contact form page, if you have questions or if there are confidentiality issues concerning your entry.
b. To submit, use the Submission form page.
c. We prefer links to your submission, and require links to video and audio entries; text documents can be uploaded. If the submission is not online we will help you to enter your submission.
2. Once your entry has been approved we will send you an email confirmation.
3. We will alternatively accept Submissions via mail. Participants will still have to register on the website. Submissions sent via mail must be accompanied by a completed Submission Forms and may be sent to:
Tamar Miller, msw mpa c/o Center for the Study of Jewish-Christian-Muslim Relations, Merrimack College, 315 Turnpike Street North Andover, MA. 01845
D. ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS AND TERMS
1. Ownership / Rights / Name And Likeness / Publicity.
a. By uploading, inputting, providing or otherwise submitting your Submission, you:
i. Warrant to "the Sponsors" you have not used any material in your Application without consent of the creator, including the music, images, script, and rights to include all persons, places or organizations included or depicted. If your Submission contains images or identifications of any persons or organizations you agree that, if you are chosen as a finalist, you will submit release forms from those persons (or their parents or guardians) or organizations for the use of their identifications or images in your Application.
ii. Agree to allow Merrimack College to use your name, identification, and likeness to use, promote or publicize your entry in any manner, without limitation, and without further compensation (except that the name of Tennessee residents who do not so consent will not be used for purely publicity purposes). You agree to indemnify Merrimack College, including for legal costs, against any challenges to the ownership, use of, or rights to material in your Submission.
iii. Acknowledge that no Submissions shall be returned.
b. Merrimack College may use any and all information obtained from Participants for its internal activities, including contacting a Participant.
c. Participants will continue to own the underlying intellectual property rights in and to their Submission, subject to Sponsor's license and rights set forth in these Official Rules and in the Submission Terms
2. Harmful Activity. ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY OF THE SITES OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Any damage made to the Sites will be the responsibility of the authorized e-mail account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. Any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or like methods of participation will void all such Submissions by the Participant. By entering this contest, you agree that you will not attempt to:
a. distribute or post spam, chain letters, or pyramid schemes;
b. distribute viruses or any other technologies that may harm the interests or property of the Sponsors, its users or the other;
c. copy, modify, or distribute content from the Site without the prior written consent of Sponsors;
d. harvest or otherwise collect information about users, including email addresses, without their consent; or
e. use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Sites for any purpose without our express written permission.
3. Compliance with Laws. You agree to comply with all government laws and regulations.
4. Release and Indemnification. As a condition for entry, you agree to release, indemnify and hold "the Sponsors," judges, consultants, staffers, and Merrimack College (and our successors, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, joint venturers, employees and attorneys) harmless from any claim, demand, or damage, including reasonable attorney's fees, asserted by any third party due to or arising out of your breach or claimed breach of these Official Rules, or your violation or claimed violation of any law or the rights of a third party.
5. Disclaimer Of Warranties.
a. Sponsors are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Sites. The information and services included in or available through the Sites may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically made to the Sites and to the information therein. Sponsors and/or our authorized agents may make improvements and/or changes in the Sites at any time. Sponsors and our authorized agents make no representations about the suitability, reliability, availability, timeliness, lack of viruses or other harmful components and accuracy of the information, products, services and related graphics contained within the Sites for any purpose. All such information, products, services and related graphics are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. The Sponsors provide no technical support.
b. The Sponsors and our authorized agents hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to the Sites, and all related software, products, services and graphics, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, workmanlike effort, title and non-infringement. No oral or written information or advice given by the Sponsors, our agents or employees shall create a warranty or in any way increase the scope of any warranty provided herein. You specifically agree that the Sponsors shall not be responsible for unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions of data and for any material or data sent or received or not sent or received. You agree that the Sponsors are not responsible or liable for any threatening, defamatory, obscene, offensive or illegal content or conduct of any other party or any infringement of another's rights, including intellectual property rights. The Sponsors are not liable for any loss of money, goodwill, or reputation, or any special, indirect, or consequential damages arising out of your use of the Sites.
6. Limitation of Liability. In no event shall the Sponsors, our officers, directors, employees, contractors, affiliates, suppliers, subsidiaries, parent company, agents or lawyers be liable to you or any third party for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special, consequential damages or any damages whatsoever including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data, business or profits, arising out of this Contest or in any way connected with:
a. the use or performance of the Sites; b.the delay or inability to use the Sites or related services;
b. the provision of or failure to provide services; or
c. any information, products, and related graphics obtained through Sponsors’ Sites, or otherwise arising out of the use of the Sites, whether based on contract, tort, negligence, strict liability or otherwise, even if Sponsors or any of our authorized agents have been advised of the possibility of damages, and even if a remedy set forth herein is found to have failed of its essential purpose.
d. Technical errors of any kind, technical hardware or software failures of any kind, including any injury or damage to any person's computer, related to or resulting from participating in or experiencing any materials in connection with the promotion, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission that may limit your ability to participate in the promotion.
7. Right to Cancel or Modify. Merrimack College reserves the right to cancel or modify the contest if fraud, misconduct or technical failures harm the integrity of the program; or if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration or security of the program as determined by Merrimack College, in its sole discretion. In the event of termination, a notice will be posted online and entries will be judged from among all eligible entries received prior to termination. If insufficient entries are received, or if no entry submitted meets minimum reasonable criteria for a prize, in Merrimack College’s sole and final discretion, fewer than all awards may be made.
8. Proof of Application. Proof of submitting entries or responses to inquiries will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Merrimack College. Only receipt of an e-mail from Merrimack College acknowledging an entry or communication will be considered proof of application.
9. Right to Exclude. Merrimack College reserves the right to prohibit the participation of an individual if fraud or tampering is suspected or if the account holder fails to comply with any requirement of participation as stated herein or with any provision in these Official Rules.
10. Article and Section Titles. The headings herein are inserted as a matter of convenience only and do not define, limit, or describe the scope of this Agreement or the intent of the provisions hereof.
11. Terms. Common nouns and pronouns shall be deemed to refer to the masculine, feminine, neuter, singular, and plural, as the identity of the person may in the context require.
12. Separability of Provisions. Each provision of this Agreement shall be considered separable; and if, for any reason, any provision or provisions herein are determined to be invalid and contrary to any existing or future law, such invalidity shall not impair the operation of or affect those portions of this Agreement, which are valid.
13. Choice of Law. This competition is offered only in the United States and is governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts. All claims relating in any manner to this contest or to any application must be resolved in the federal or state courts of Massachusetts. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participants and sponsors in connection with the contest, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of Massachusetts or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Massachusetts). Any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to this competition, the Sites, or these Official Rules must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose regardless of any status or law to the contrary. In the event any such claim or cause of action is not filed within such one (1) year period, such claim or cause of action shall be barred.
For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form